An update on SOLAS independence from President, Frank M. Phillips, MD
It is with great enthusiasm that I provide an update on the transition of the Society of Lateral Access Surgery to an independent organization. Since my first official announcement as President in May of this year a lot of progress has been made. SOLAS is now officially a Dutch Foundation and we continue to make steps toward independent operations and establishing our non-profit status. With a new Global Board of Directors and Regional Committee Chairs in place, we have hit the ground running and are actively planning 2016 initiatives and beyond. Below please find the new SOLAS global leadership:
The SOLAS Global Board recently met in Chicago during NASS and I’d like to share some of the highlights with you and the exciting direction that we will continue to develop and shape as an independent organization.
- The 2nd Annual SOLAS EMEA Regional Research Meeting will be held in Italy this month for members in the EMEA region.
- The 9th Annual SOLAS Research Meeting will be held March 10-12, 2016 in San Diego, CA. Abstract submission deadline: January 27, 2016.
- SOLAS will hold two regional research meetings in 2016. The regional research committees are working to define the needs and locations will be determined in the near future.
- SOLAS will offer new education courses in 2016. The global education committee is currently working on defining the educational objectives and course requirements. Stay tuned for more information about SOLAS educational opportunities in 2016.
- The online case discussion tool, the SOLAS Forum, will be enhanced and launched in 2016.
- With a growing global membership, new and improved processes to provide ongoing engagement with the SOLAS community will be introduced.
- SOLAS membership will be changing from annual to biennial and other slight modifications to the criteria will be made. More details to follow.
I would personally encourage you to get involved and join a regional committee that interests you. There is a lot of work to be done and your participation and contributions to help define the future of SOLAS is crucial. Please feel free to reach out to me or any of the SOLAS directors or regional chairs to ask questions or get involved. If you do not have our direct contact information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be pointed in the right direction.
Please save the date for the 9th Annual SOLAS Research Meeting, March 10-12, 2016 at the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort in Carlsbad, CA. A communication with additional details will be sent out this month.
Hope to see you in San Diego!
Frank M. Phillips, MD